Saturday, 27 November 2010

"But Really Only Watch-Menders"

" . . . I pray thee have me excused."
Luke 14:18c

A soldier who went to the war took with him some of the small instruments of his craft--he was a watch-maker and repairer--thinking to make some extra shillings now and then while in the camp.  He did so.  He found plenty of watches to mend, and almost forgot that he was a soldier.  One day, when ordered off on some duty, he expclaimed, "Why, how can I go? I've got ten watches to mend!" 
Some Chrsiitans are so absorbed in self-seeking that they are ready to say to the Master's call, "I pray thee have me excused!"  They are nominally soldiers of Christ, but really only watch-menders.
Taken From: 1001 Thoughts From My Library,
D. L. Moody
"And whosoever doth not bear his cross,
and come after me, cannot be my disciple."
Luke 14:27


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your encouraging comment or question!