Saturday, 21 August 2010

Moved With Compassion

Eileen,
Singapore
Week 5, Bohol

Though having served in the Sunday St E ministry mainly reaching out to mainly Filipinas  for almost a decade in Orchard Road, I have yet mustered enough courage for the Campus Evangelistic campaign in the past years. Fear and concern such as will leave be approved especially at the busiest period of the year in my workplace and will students at an age probably young enough to be my be my grandchild be able to connect with me? With much prayer from my SF brethren, took step of faith to request for leave explaining purpose of the trip to my boss but amazingly, response from him, a non christian was unexpectedly encouraging. Praise God, He fulfilled His promise in 1 John 5 : 14.

With much anxiety , set foot on Bohol, an island known for chocolate hills and tarsier, the world smallest mammal for a week of Campus Evangelistic Campaign. Why anxiety? Fear that I will fumble in classroom crowd and my inadequacy but “God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and a sound mind” (2 Tim 1:7) and isn’t He my sufficiency? Why anxiety? Shouldn’t it be the thought that many will perish in eternal hell without the gospel when signs of time is so evident.

During the week of campus campaign, God opened my eyes to His power. There was so much liberty in sharing. There was an instance where we travelled almost two hours to a school and opportunity was closed due to last minute change in school schedule, but, God touched the heart of the authority to allow us to go back the following day. Another instance, a school authority disallowed us to mass evangelise due to the threatening weather but few of us hang around to speak to groups of students. Eventually no sign of rain, the authority changed their mind and almost the whole school raised their hands when decision was called after preaching. God is so awesome.

Eileen and Elson (SMCI Bohol Staff)
I will not trade anything for this experience. Went to Bohol thinking I will touch life but instead God touched my life through many saved lives and through the lives of our fellow SMCI workers with their passion in reaching out to the loss and indeed they were “moved with compassion for them”. My duty has yet end when I departed from Bohol but to lift up these dear SMCI brothers and sisters in unceasing prayer to our almighty God in equipping them for the work that just began.

To God be the Glory!

Eileen Tien is a business woman in Singapore, mother of 2 grown boys and a member of GLCC. This was her first campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your encouraging comment or question!