Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Generosity of Heart & Speech

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure,
then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits,
without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
James 3:17

Mike and I have been reading Ordained of the LORD, by E. Schuyler English. It's the biography of H.A. Ironside. Have you read it? I have been so moved by his generous spirit-he was so generous of heart and speech.

Last night we read an account of a conversation he had with a Jesuit priest. They traveled together on a train in the early 1900's somewhere near Fresno, CA. (I've been on that line--it's still bumpy!) It was a lovely story in which HAI (ch. 10) protected the man's personal conversation and thoughts even though we (the readers) would never come to know his name. Imagine the picture--HAI in his suit and starched collar--and the Jesuit priest...well, Jesuit priest-like (you get the idea!) With gentle, generous speech, in the power of the Holy Spirit, he spoke the words of salvation and saw the dear man trust Christ alone over the "church". It was a beautiful account--reminded me of what has been going on in the Philippines during the past few years--so many formerly resting in a false security, even serving the LORD without really know Him--now turning to Christ!

Yes, generosity...

My Saviour is generous. He was generous when He came to live, to suffer, to die, to forgive; generous when He loved all mankind with His sacrifice. He is generous in allowing me to fail. Then He allows me to fail again . . . and quite often, yet again. He reproves, forgives, restores. He forgave me knowing I would fail but also gave me the power to succeed in Him by grace, through faith... "As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:" (Col. 2:6) He knows who I really am . . . in fact He knows what kind of clothes my heart wears-- but still, in His generosity He teaches me, uses me, protects me, and allows trials to make me more like Him. He loves me. He was generous to save me. He is generous to keep me and enable me to victory--as with all who belong to Him.

"I want to be generous like you LORD... enable me LORD. Enable me to see others with your sight, to be generous with your love, with your truth, with your Gospel. Thank you."

1 comment:

  1. I thought you might be interested in a new collection of books by H. A. Ironside available from Logos Bible Software.

    The Works of H. A. Ironside (65 Vols.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your encouraging comment or question!